Pages

Wednesday 14 June 2017

Solid or liquid?

WALHT: Observe and discuss the reaction when 2 states of matter are combined.


Today the year 8’s had to create a colloid (colloid is 2 states of matters combined into one, no one actually knows if its liquid or a solid )

First everyone had to pour 15 ml of water into a container of corn flour. Next the kids had to stir the water and by the looks of it every stir they made, the mixture got harder and harder but once they stopped stirring, the hard mixture turned straight into liquid. The conclusion was that applying pressure into the mixture will turn the mixture into solid and solid is one of the states of matter and if there is a lack of pressure the solid will transform into a liquid in seconds. It is the most satisfying thing to watch when a hard solid just melts into liquid.
∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾∾

Image result for Gif oobleck

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lasike Its Franklin from Grey Main. That is a very interesting experiment. I will try make that one time to see what happens for me. I remember watching an experiment at Castle Hill where they make a small hot air balloon.

    I like the way you told us how to do it and what your goal was. Have you done any other experiments? How long did it take to make it?

    Next time you could write how you found this experiment. Tino Pai tau mahi (good work).


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment.

      I actually didn't find this experiment my science teacher did and it took just 10 minutes it wasn't a long experiment. I do make other experiments which I put into a report and I post it up on my blog every Thursday

      Delete
  2. Hi Lasike it's Leevy from St Patricks school greymouth. I really like the sound of this experiment. It looks amazing. Maybe next time you could put a reflection in.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.